General Information about Undergraduate Education
Students are first admitted to the college of engineering, (CIT), and then select a department during the freshman year. Students from all programs, colleges, and universities are invited to apply to Civil and Environmental Engineering. The basic undergraduate degree leads to a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, and students with an interest in Environmental Engineering are encouraged to undertake the Minor in Environmental Engineering.
As summarized in the Carnegie Mellon Undergraduate Catalog, the program education objectives of the Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering curriculum are to develop graduates who embody the following definitions:
- graduates distinguish themselves within their organizations as someone able to complete both conventional and cutting-edge professional challenges related to one or more of the areas of the built, natural and information environments;
- graduates work for a wide range of engineering and non-engineering organizations located both in the U.S. and internationally, and work on a wide range of activities, such as academic research, government service and private sector activity;
- graduates are innovative, proactive, and adaptive professionals, highly engaged in their professional communities.
The Civil Engineering curriculum is intended to allow ample opportunity for students to pursue areas of personal interest. The opportunity for self-exploration requires careful advising to gain meaningful educational experiences. We believe that design and team working experiences should occur at regular intervals in the curriculum, and that graduates should have appropriate “hands on” experience in laboratories and projects. Students are encouraged to participate in research projects and to pursue study or work abroad.
The vision, mission and values for the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering can be found here.
Information about Undergraduate Program in CEE
- Civil Engineering at CMU (FAQ)
- Cooperative Education Program
- Integrated M.S./B.S. Program
- The HUB
- New students to Carnegie Mellon are admitted by the central office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- Prospective undergraduate students who would like to schedule visit the department should contact the Director of Undergraduate Programs, Andrea Francioni Rooney
- Students wishing to transfer to a Civil Engineering major from within Carnegie Mellon should contact the Director of Undergraduate Programs, Andrea Francioni Rooney
- CIT Minors Available to CEE Students
- Example placements of recent graduates